Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Serves 6
- Chicken broth (large container)
- Spicy V8
- Carrots - About 6-8 large chopped to bite size pieces
- Fresh large onion chopped into small pieces
- Corn - fresh or whole package of frozen as much (as you prefer )
- Tomatoes- large chopped canned tomatoes or fresh Roma tomatoes chopped probably 8 or so
- Chicken breasts, bones less skinless 2.5-3 lbs
- Canned chipotle peppers in adobe sauce -this is very spicy ! A little but goes a long way. I use about 2 tablespoons of the sauce the chipotles are in and fine chop up 2 chipotles. You can always add more after the soup has been cooking for a bit to see how it blends and how spicy it is. Or add extra to individual bowls.
- Sour cream dollop, as garnish on top AFTER you serve it into bowls.
- Avocado sliced to add on top as garnish after serving in bowls.
- Optional, Corn tortillas. I slice up the whole package into slices and deep fry in pot of oil and use as garnish on top after service in bowls.
- Mexican cheese or Jack cheese grate and use as garnish also after serving in bowls.
Add onion and some coconut oil or preferred oil to a large soup pot and sautée until soft and clear, add chopped carrots and corn, mix together and cook on medium for a few minutes then add tomatoes and the chipotles peppers in Adobe sauce. I start with 2 or 3 peppers that I chop up small and add about a tablespoon of the chipotle sauce that's with the whole chipotles (they are very spicy) mix this all up and cook for another minute or so and then add a large container of broth. Should be enough broth to now add in chicken breast to cook. I add the chicken raw maybe just cut once in half so they are still large pieces. Then I add about a cup and a half of the spicy V8. Stir and bring to a boil. Should look like soup. Once boiling reduce to simmer and cook for couple hours at a light boil. Before serving pull chicken apart with a fork in the pot and mix around to evenly to distribute.
1) Add Initial Ingredients:
File:1) Add Initial Ingredients.jpg
2) Continue Adding Tomatoes:
File:2) Continue Adding Tomatoes.jpg
3) Add Chicken Breasts:
File:3) Add Chicken Breasts.jpg
4) Shred Chicken in Bowl:
File:4) Shred Chicken in Bowl.jpg
5) Garnish and Serve:
File:5) Garnish and Serve.jpg
return to Main_Page